Skylights are a beautiful way to add light to a room and open up a space. But a leaking skylight isn’t so beautiful. This is any homeowner’s biggest concern when considering adding a skylight. Here are some troubleshooting guidelines if you have a leaking skylight.
Need help with your leaking skylight? Call Weather Vane!
My Skylight is Leaking. What Should I do?
#1. Reduce Skylight Condensation
Just like any window, a skylight can create condensation on the inside, especially when it is cold outside and warm inside.
Solution: The first step is to create the best conditions so that condensation isn’t likely to form in the first place. Make sure you do the following:
- Run your internal exhaust fans more frequently to move the warm air outside.
- Check to be sure your bathroom fans, dryer, gas appliances, and any other exhaust fans you have are venting properly.
- Clean fans and vents regularly.
- Open window blinds and shades so the warm air inside can circulate around your windows.
#2. Fix Skylight Condensation
If you have done everything above to reduce the condensation and are still getting drips, it’s time to do some fixing.
- Look for small gaps around the outer panels of the skylight. Make sure your skylight is fitted and fully insulated for your property.
- Use silicone caulk to cover any cracks or holes in the skylight joints or corners.
- On the outside (be carful on your roof!) remove any dirt, leaves and any other debris around the edges (flashing) of your skylight.
- Make sure the weather stripping is in good condition, and replace it if needs it.
- Do these things annually to keep your skylights free from condensation for a long time.
If you want help maintaining your skylights and are uncomfortable getting on your roof call Weather Vane Roofing.
If the above suggestions don’t help and you have leaking skylights, you should contact a roofing specialist. Weather Vane Roofing can give you a free evaluation and estimate for what needs to be done to fix the problem.
About Weather Vane Roofing
We provide roofing, siding, insulation, windows, and gutters. Making your house beautiful and efficient is our main goal. We use the latest in technology and products to provide eco-friendly and cost-effective solutions for your home and business. With locations in Lansing, Owosso, and Brighton/Howell we are Mid-Michigan’s roofing experts. Let us transform your house into a home.