Gutters are an essential part of a house and key to a home’s sustainability, but as important as they are there are also common issues caused by gutters not functioning properly.
Weather Vane Roofing is a PREMIER GUTTER SPECIALIST IN MICHIGAN. Call us today if you need new gutters!
Gutters direct water from rain and melting snow away from the structure. This is very important to the sustainability of a house.
However, when gutters aren’t functioning properly, rather than help they can hurt and they can cause some problems.
Common issues caused by gutters not functioning properly:
- Overflowing – Gutters that are clogged with leaves or other debris and overflowing will not properly carry water away from your house. This can cause problems such as:
- Foundational erosion and problems – When gutters overflow, the water will run down the walls causing not only potential damage to the walls but also pooling around the foundation and causing erosion and other problems.
- Wall and ceiling damage
- Basement flooding
- Ice Damming – Leaves not removed from gutters can also get wet and freeze during the winter. This may cause them to encroach underneath the shingles and ice damming and subsequent damage to the shingles and underlayment.
To-dos to prevent these possible problems:
- Spruce up for spring! Get a jump on seasonal clean-up! Clear out your gutters BEFORE the snow that may be up there begins to melt. If not then, at least before the spring rain begins to come down!
- Check for any areas that may be sagging.
- Look for any gutter damage. Cracks, rust, and peeling paint are all signs of wear and potential problems that may cause trouble.
- Check your gutters for debris, leaves, and balls from the neighborhood kids. Remove any of this debris that may be present.
- Look for gutters that aren’t sloping properly. Incorrect sloping can cause improper drainage and water in places it shouldn’t be!
While gutters should last 20 to 50 years, damage from storms and other gutter dysfunction does occur. We are here to help you evaluate, repair or replace your gutters. Let’s keep the water runoff from your roof away from the foundation of your house! There’s never been a better time! Snow’s about to melt and spring rain is on the way! Get in touch with us via our website or by phone at 1-800-517-3214.
About Weather Vane Roofing
We provide roofing, siding, insulation, windows, and gutters. Making your house beautiful and efficient is our main goal. We use the latest in technology and products to provide eco-friendly and cost-effective solutions for your home and business. With locations in Lansing, Owosso, and Brighton/Howell we are Mid-Michigan’s roofing experts. Let us transform your house into a home.