Now that you have made the 21st-century decision to create your own solar panel system to help with the energy supply to your house, we’re going to tell you how to get your roof ready for installation. Don’t look back!
Here are some questions you’ll want to know the answers to first:
- Where can solar panels be installed? Solar panels can be installed in several places such as your house roof, garage, shed, or any other outbuildings. This can help you take advantage of the possibilities that renewable energy offers.
- What is the age of your roof? If your roof is old, it needs repair BEFORE installing solar panels.
- Does the size of my roof matter? In fact, it does! City building departments usually have a minimum requirement for surface space. Adequate space is necessary to place the solar panels themselves. There also needs to be a certain amount of open space around them. The solar panel installers will know what is needed
Basic things to do to get your roof ready for solar panel installation:
- Remove debris.
- Clean off mold and mildew.
- Have an inspection by a third party to give it a good survey by either getting up on the roof or viewing it with drones. We can help you with this! The inspection should include:
- Checking the underlayment to be sure it is in good condition.
- Making sure there are no leaks.
- Looking for missing shingles.
- Identifying any other areas in disrepair.
- Check with your local utility company to see if they have a guide with key information, tips, and what to expect.
- Ask your utility company if they have a list of references of certified companies to do the installation.
- Be sure the company doing it is reputable. Get references!
When you are ready to get your roof ready for solar panel installation, get in touch with us either through our website or by phone at 1-800-517-3214.
About Weather Vane Roofing
We provide roofing, siding, insulation, windows, and gutters. Making your house beautiful and efficient is our main goal. We use the latest in technology and products to provide eco-friendly and cost-effective solutions for your home and business. With locations in Lansing, Owosso, and Brighton/Howell we are Mid-Michigan’s roofing experts. Let us transform your house into a home.